Saturday, February 9, 2019

URI Hindi movie striking at the heart strings

I went to URI  movie recently  after  receiving, rave comments about it. I heard from some of the people that they have seen it two to three times and still not got over it.  Definitely when you go to a movie after hearing such comments the expectations will  sky rocket and normally the movie ends up not meeting our expectations.  In this instance, I was in for a special surprise.  I was riveted  and glued to watching the movie for the entire duration of 138  minutes.

I and my wife and along with my two nieces (they were seeing it for the second time) went to the movie for a  matinee  show on a Saturday.  I could observe my two nieces were as excited as if they were watching it for the first time.  There Josh was very high using the cliché. I was trying to ask them during the movie, what happens next and they were telling me to wait and watch it. My two nieces are teenagers and I feel the movie has impacted  teenagers very much and put a high degree of readiness in them to fight for the right causes and not take things lying down.

The initial standing for the National anthem  had set the stage for the entire crowd  for the next two hours on a trip of national feelings and euphoria.  There was an air  of deep national feeling across the auditorium. There was complete silence and the audience was waiting with baited breath for the next scenes and ultimately the surgical strike.

The  earlier movie   Border “  which was  released in 1997  and based on Kargil war could not create the same fervor  among the people , though I heard from one of my friend from army that Border movie resembled closely to what exactly happened in the war front. The URI  movie impact  is due its nature of taking the battle  into the enemy’s camp which is first of its nature for us Indians.  We prided that  we have never invaded any country or imposed our culture or religion away from our country. The dialogue in the movie that  Indians will no more remain docile and ready to give a befitting reply and take the fight , right into the enemy’s camp,  really  resonated well  with the entire audience. That is the turning point in the entire movie and I feel one of the main reasons for the resounding success of the movie. This is a new and a resurgent India. We will not remain quite. We are ready to fight for the loss of our soldiers, who are brutally killed.

Vicky  Kaushal the actor who dons the role of Major Vihan and who commands the entire  ground operations of the surgical  strike  is tailor made for the role.  His seriousness and the demeanor he maintains for the entire duration of the movie is really the hallmark of the entire movie.

The action scenes  are authentic and  the photography gives us a realistic feeling of the eerie silence and the cover of  darkness during the entire surgical operations. 

The movie has its moments of melodrama in the first half which I feel could have been reduced.  The duration of the entire movie could have been reduced by about 20 minutes but who am I to complain when the entire country has gleefully accepted this potpourri of national sentiments, rhetoric of high josh, melodrama and high octane action scenes  How is my Josh , it is  high, high.

Joshingly
Padmanabh

3 comments: