Saturday, October 10, 2009

Gavi Gangadeshwara temple in Bangalore

10th Oct 09

Today in the evening myself and my wife visited one of the oldest temple in Bangalore.It is Gavi Gangadeshwara temple in Gavipur which is adjacent to Basavangudi and about one kilometre from Dodda Ganesha temple on the bull temple road.

The temple construction dates back to 9th Century. As we were inside the precints of the temple , we were literally feeling how it was in those old days. Since i hail from Bangalore , i was feeling very Nostalgic about visiting a temple whose ethos are mixed with the Bengaluru city in the olden days.

One important event happens every Makara sankranti day during January in the temple.

The suns rays falls directly on the feet of the Linga after crossing the opening in the wall , window and the door. The architects at that time must have used the right techniques in calculating and ensuring the above event happens on the Makara Sankranti day.


I was feeling that to capture the feelings about a city 's history , we have to visit its old places , temples and walk through certain old localities. We can just soak in the air that was prevailing in the earlier days of the city.


I also felt a little soothing feeling after being inside the temple and away from the hurried life which is the normal diet of an urban life.

5 comments:

  1. Good one Padmanabh, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Padmanabh
    Gavi Gangadhareshwara is indeed a wnderful place. There are a few tunnels (pradakshina pathas) to circumambulate around the shrines of Shiva and parvati. When the lights are put off we go through them, for a few moments we experience what perfect darkness is!
    The temple more than 1000 years old. There are many religious and cultural significances attributed to this temple. The present monumental pillars of darpana, damaru, trishula etc in front of the temple shrine were erected by the famous Kempegowda who began the building of Bangalore city. The experience of sitting quitely in a dark cave, in a divine ambience is indeed thrilling.
    Another age old cave (temple) in Bangalore worth seeing is in hulimavu, bannerghatta road. It belongs to the stoneage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi padmanabha,nice write up,
    Few suggestions
    1.some photo will add more colour to the write up,
    2.A simple route map to the place will be helpful to the people who want to visit this place.
    shashi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sastry,

    I did not know that a writer is hidden in you. Good Job.

    Also I would suggest you to visit 1. Kasi Visvwswara temple at Chickpet and Sugreeva Temple in Balepet. Appa was a devotee, a regular visitor and also in temple management for these temples for a very long time.

    Last time when I visited Bangalore for a Day I just roamed around these areas including Appa's office place for the heck of old time memories!!

    Dilip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went there a few days back and my feelings about the place was ditto. I went there just a few minutes before the closing time and I got a mouthful of curses from an old and dominant priest. I remembered the old saying - devaru kotru pujari bidalla. :D

    Shashi, you can reach the temple this way - On Bull temple road from Chamarajpet towards BMS, take right turn after the Ramkrishna ashrama. The dead end is a hill. On the other side of the hill is the temple.

    ReplyDelete